Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Fried Egg Plant: Yum

Eggplant Night, January 2014
When I was child I remember my mom frying up eggplant.   I loved it.  If its on the menu at a restaurant I will usually try it.  But I have not found any restaurants that particularly stand out, especially since we moved out to the rural community of West Columbia.

When I was at our local HEB grocery store a few days ago I spotted some lovely looking eggplant in the produce section so I decided I would see if I could make fried eggplant like momma used to make.  Elijah had never experienced fried eggplant before so I wanted him to try it.

I researched the preparation and frying process, checking out several websites.  I learned that eggplants have genders and the male eggplants are less spicy than the females because they contain less seeds.   -I am not joking here.   Check out this very informative website if you'd like to know more about eggplant.

I won't go into great detail regarding my recipe here in this article.  I posted a photo from 'eggplant night' a few days ago. I was just 'winging' it, but I was pleased with my first effort.  It tasted good to me, kinda how mom used to make it..  Elijah and Monica raved about it.  Connor even liked it and he is a very finicky eater who had previously stated that he had tried it in the past and did not care for it.   I am currently experimenting with some different batters and batter techniques.  I will post again when I feel that I have 'perfected' the Chadwell family recipe.

Breading Mix = bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and basil

If anyone has any eggplant recipes they would like to share please email me at coachsam@chadwelltennis.com.



0 comments: