Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day...

This photo wasn't taken on Labor Day, but it is a photo of a couple of workers. As I recall, Elijah was helping me in the yard the day this photo was taken.

Today is Labor Day. You know I've almost 43 years old now and I've lived through quite a few Labor Days. But what is Labor Day...? What does it mean to me...?

I know it's a holiday. But what is the origin of Labor day...? Well, here's a quick link that explains it's history.....

Apparently it started back in 1882 and was a holiday created to honor the achievements of the American worker. It is also considered a symbolic end to summer. Hmmm.... I didn't know that. In fact, I found lots of other interesting information on the wickipedia link.

For me, I don't have too many specific memories of Labor Day. Since I make a living in the tennis industry it's always pretty much meant a day or weekend of tennis for me. I'm either working a tennis event, teaching lessons, or both.

I do have some fond memories of visiting the US Open Tennis Championships in New York on Labor Day. But that was many years ago. Now the USTA is so money hungry that it sells so many tickets to the open that a person can't even comfortably walk around any more.

Today, I'm teaching my regular lessons schedule at my club if the weather cooperates...

I'll probably grill some sausage for lunch and watch the Open on TV this afternoon before going back for lessons this evening.

That's my day today. And this is my life...!

-Coach Sam

0 comments: