Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Coach Sam's Hurricane Evacuation


At first I was planning to stay here in Houston. After all, I live in Northwest Houston. Only those people living on the coast were supposed to really get hammered... I'm a good 60+ miles from the coast. But look at the size of that Monster...! It's one of the biggest ever recorded...!

My neighborhood does flood toward the back of the sub-division but we're near the front and our house sits on the highest point in the neighborhood and has never flooded. (So says my neighbor who has lived next door since our house was built.)

As the weather reports grew more intense this morning Monica started getting a little nervous and I must say that I've never been in a hurricane this big before so I don't know exactly what to expect. Therefore we boarded up our windows on the south side of the house and have packed up and we're heading out of town early in the morning. I mean early. Maybe 3 or 4 AM... But certainly no later than 6 AM...

If we didn't have kids I'd almost be willing to stick it out here and see what happens, but I don't want to jeopardize Connor or Elijah's safety. And there's no way We could make Elijah put up with no air conditioning and the possibility of loss of electricity for some period of time is almost certain...!

My brothers are staying in the Bay City area to weather the storm. I think they are absolutely nuts...!

Oh well... By the way... We're headed to Arkansas to visit Monica's Aunt and Uncle. That's a long trip with a baby and a 13 year old. We may take two days to get there... Stay there a day and then head back. I don't know... We'll see.

The next 48 to 72 hours should be very interesting... My next blog entry will be on the road to Arkansas. Bye for now...

Coach Sam

2 comments:

Colette said...

Coach,
Sooo very glad you and your family are getting out! After New Orleans you made a wise decision. From a different pooint of view, my husband was a firefighter for twenty years, and I could never understand why people would make foolish decisions and put the life of my husband in jeopardy trying to rescue them. HE has a family too! Seeing on TV that the traffic is barely moving. Hope you, Monica and the children weren't stuck in that. My family will keep you in our prayers but post as soon as you can amd up-date us.
Colette

Coach Sam said...

Hi Colette... Thanks for your prayers... Keep them coming. And pray especially those stranded on the roads and are most at risk right now.

In Christ,

Coach Sam