Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Television or Hellavision...?

I don't watch very much television. I really never have. I used to love to watch 'ER' in it's first few seasons but by the end of the series the story lines and themes were getting too raunchy for me. Gay and lesbian themes and infidelity in the lives of most of the characters became the norm for most shows. Is that really what goes on behind the scenes in emergency rooms around the country...?

Now I've hardly watched any TV for several years. But this past week I did tune in for the presidential debates and got a whiff of some of the new 'hit shows' from their advertising.

I can't believe there's a show called 'Desperate Housewives'. I went to it's website and found just what I thought I would... It is basically a show about people unhappy with their lives and all the stupid and crazy things they do in their search for happiness. The narrator of the show is a young woman who has committed suicide and is looking down on her family and neighbors. This is called a 'dark comedy'. I call it a tragedy.

Stuff like this weakens America. It undermines the family. It undermines happy relationships. (There are still a few out there....) What kind of message is this going to send to kids who tune in to the show...? Sigh...

I read an article one time where TV was referred to as Hellavision. And I really and truly believe that couldn't be too far from the truth....! Friends, we really need to sift through the junk on TV before our lives start to imitate it...!

I'm writing a note to ABC telling them that I don't appreciate that kind of programming. You should, too. Here's the contact information:

Mailing Address:ABC, Inc. 500 S. Buena Vista Street Burbank, CA 91521-4551Phone number: (818) 460-7477For abc Primetime and Daytime shows, as well as our Movies and Specials: Audience Relations Department at netaudr@abc.com

Here's contact Info for Houston's Local ABC Station:

KTRK 3310 Bissonet Street Houston, TX 77001-0013(713) 666-0713 Web Site

Man, this topic (trash and filth on TV) really gets me fired up early in the morning.... Writing or calling ABC is my only option besides just turning my TV off for good. Hmmm... Now there's an idea...!

0 comments: